Let's Sew Many Designs

A place for sewing friends to share machine embroidery designs and sew much more!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

setting your serger

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: setting your serger   Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:53 pm

Most serger dials are much the same the thread runs through a tension disk. The number settings may change slightly from one machine to the next. Do not be afraid to experiment just write down what the dials were set to before you changed them and play around have fun. Serger's are extremely fun to use and not as difficult as some people think they are.

For a medium woven material, or a medium weight cotton you can set your dials on your serger for a 4 thread over-lock stitch
Both thread needles should be set for 4 on your dial now my upper looper I prefer a 3 to 31/2 bottom looper on 4. You may find that all settings on 4 work great for your machine. This is just to give you an approximate. Make sure to try your stitching on other left over material first to make sure your stitches are clean, neat, and meet perfectly. Adjust as required.

I used this setting for putting together four inch squares to a quilt. The results were amazing I did not have large seams to contend with.The quilt came out nice and neat with no puckers in the material. You can even serge around the edges of a quilt before putting on the binding that makes putting binding on easier because you won't have the puckering to the quilt you might other wise have sometimes.

I also use this set up on light to medium denim for making skirts when I put then together. If anyone has any questions be sure to ask. I am not an expert but I have used my sergers a lot over the years. Sharwy
Back to top Go down
EmbroideryRN
Embroidery Top Dog
Embroidery Top Dog

PostSubject: Re: setting your serger   Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:52 am

Sergers intimidate me! I actually purchased one once, then returned it! I may have to get one again! If I can ever have time to sew or craft again! Thanks for the info!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://embroideryrndesigns.com

PostSubject: Re: setting your serger   Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:12 am

a nice machine is the Husqvarna serger simple to use heavy duty work horse. I got mine in 2005 it is still working great I do oil it once in a while that is it for care but I keep it covered too. Sharwy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: setting your serger   

Back to top Go down

setting your serger
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1